Thursday, February 09, 2006

Starting A New Landscape Design

Reply to email question:

QUESTION

You've probably heard this question more than just a few times, but in creating a landscape design,where's the best place to start? I feel so overwhelmed.

We bought a new house this summer.The traditional 2300 sq. ft home sits on a wooded 2 acre lot cleared of brush. A crushed gravel circle drive comes right up to the front door. Mostly shaded, with the area around the south and western sides of the home in full sun.

I guess the purpose of the design would to be a beautiful eden of a yard with "rooms" for childrens play area, water features, and meditation.

how would I go about creating cottage style borders to complement the white siding and black shutter traditional home?

I know your time is of the upmost value,but I would appreciate any advice or direction. Would it be a sound investment to pay $528 for a landscape architect to create the design I'm looking for?

Thank you so much-

ANSWER

While that's not a bad price for a good designer and design, I believe you'll feel better about spending it if you're absolutely sure it was the only way to go.

I wrote an article not too long ago about one way to start a design. You can see it at: Do It Yourself Landscape Design-Where To Begin.

I also have a very large picture gallery which inludes a cottage and meditation garden category. See it at Landscaping And Garden Design Pictures.

Getting started is always the hardest part. I know it is for me if I don't have a vision to begin with.

Brainstorm. Look at the pictures. Don't try to get your idea from one photo but take pieces from different pictures and try to make them fit together.

With the picture ideas in your head, scribble out the different areas using a bubble graph. Draw several versions but don't discard the old ones just yet. See: Using A Bubble Graph In Landscape Design

Also see the landscape planning page.

Once you have shape, you can create unity and continuity with elements like groundcover, decor, rocks, plants, and all hardscapes.

Once you go through these steps and still don't like what you come up with, you can justify spending the money for an architect.

I hope this helps.

No comments: